After running this feature on Smashbox’s new eye liners and seeing all the makeup sharpeners I owned, it got me thinking. What makes for a good one? As in, what makes for a good makeup pencil sharpener or what makes for a good anything really? After trying and playing with products for the past 12+ years, I think I have a bit of expertise when it comes to specific topics and what makes for a good something.
So I decided to start a new on-going feature called …
and in these features I will discuss what I think makes for a good product or way of doing something beauty-related.
This first one will investigate what I think makes for a good makeup sharpener, so let’s get to it!!
What Makes for a Good Makeup Sharpener?
Like the ones shown in this picture I took of the ones I own, they all fill a purpose. Since there is no set size for any pencil for lips or eyes, you will probably find yourself having to own quite a few different ones.
If you are just going to invest in one or two of them, here is what you should look for in a good one. I like a duo sharpener like this one from Pixi Beauty I recently featured. Also, since I don’t have a trashcan next to my makeup table, a case that surrounds the sharpener to catch the shavings is also convenient. And with all the ones I’ve tried, that small pokey thing to poke color and shavings away from the blade is totally underrated. Believe it or not, only some include this pokey thing.
Here are some good ones that can get you by.
- URBAN DECAY Grindhouse Double Barrel Sharpener ($10 @ ulta.com)
- JAPONESQUE Dual Sharpener ($10.99 @ amazon.com)
- SEPHORA COLLECTION Colorful Dual Antibacterial Sharpener ($4 @ sephora.com)
- ULTA Cosmetic Pencil Sharpener ($2.50 @ ulta.com)
But if you really want the best of the best, I’ve tried a bunch and these ones below are the best as they meet the key criteria:
- Should be able to sharpen two different sizes; so make it a duo, please.
- Should have a blade-cleaning pick with it. This is so useful!
- Should be encased to catch the pencil shavings.
- KEVYN AUCOIN The Precision Pencil Sharpener ($8 @ barneys.com)
- TWEEZERMAN Deluxe Cosmetic Pencil Sharpener ($4 @ amazon.com)
- MALLY BEAUTY Dual Sharpener ($12.50 @ ulta.com)
- ELF Dual Pencil Sharpener ($1 @ eyeslipsface.com)
- DuWOP Beauty Blade, Antibacterial Dual Eye and Lip Pencil Sharpener ($11 @ dermstore.com)
So do you have a favorite makeup pencil sharpener? Let me know in the comments!