DIY Corner - How to Recreate the Lilico Leather Flower Sandals from Sophia Webster
How many times have you lusted after a gorgeous pair of shoes only to finally have a peep at the price tag and see that to have them will cost you one or two paychecks? For most of us, it’s just not a reality. But for some reason when I saw Sophia Webster Lilico Leather Flower Sandals, I immediately thought, “I can make these!” It’s not something I normally say to myself when looking at a pair of shoes but for some reason, that’s what popped into my head.
So I took on the challenge of recreating a pair of couture shoes that cost $595 for under $100. Here is the step-by-step on how I made them.
In looking at multiple pictures online, the only part that seemed like it was going to be a challenge was the scalloping of the leather around the heel. I contemplated a few things for it like wrapping a piece of pre-cup leather around the back of the shoe or attach something inside the heel that stuck out around the top. In the end, I decided there wasn’t going to be a way to do it seamlessly so I opted to forgo that part of the shoe but the rest would be totally doable.
The first order or business was finding a pair of skinny strapped ankle sandals. I opted for white as only part of the shoe that's light blue could be painted on. It took me about 5 weeks to find the right looking pair with the winners being these Shoe Republica heels shown below called Sansa (there is a price breakdown for everything I used to make these shoes at the end of this feature). The only alteration I had to make was to cut off the gold chain on the strap. Then they were ready for the transformation!
Now to gather the necessary materials -
For the dots around the heel and the strips on the heel, I went to Staples and Office Depot to look for stickers that would work. Believe it or not, I had the hardest time finding the less than ½ inch but greater than ¼ inch black dots so in the end, I had to make them. I found some foil stickers and I colored over them with black Sharpie.
For the stripes, again I had a hard time finding the right width in black so I cut my own from a pack of chalkboard paper labels from Michael’s. In some places the sticker wasn’t adhering fully so I had to cut some pieces of matte scotch tape to put it around it.
Next, the blue part of the shoe. That was easy!! I use nail polish on pretty much any art project that requires color. It’s perfect! It comes in many colors, is a manageable size (don’t have to buy a whole gallon), and now colors come in different finishes. So to find the right color, I trucked over to CVS and referred to the photos I kept in my phone of the shoes and looked for a light blue with a velvet finish since the blue on the shoe is not very glossy looking.
For the flowers, I wanted to put my own personality into it. I found one of the flowers used in a pack at Michael’s, one is a vintage flower that was an earring I had.
Under it is a piece of foam in the shape of a flower, I cut some leaves from some felt I had that hang on the outside of the heels, the pink flower trimmed with navy is a resin flower I picked up at Michael’s and painted with nail polish, and the round plastic disc with crystals on it in the inside part of the heel was something I had that I picked up sometime last year at Bohemian Crystal in downtown LA.
And to glue these pieces on, I used the trusty e6000 glue. I did try my hot glue gun with one flower but it didn’t work at all so I just used e6000 for all of them.
For the ankle strap, I used a Sharpie to make it black and then used black nail polish as the black Sharpie was not black enough.
And there you have it!
- Shoes $29.99
- Shoes shipping $11.58
- Chalkboard stickers and dot stickers- $2.40
- Flower packs – about $4.30 total
- Nail polish - $2.99
- random total of items I used that I had - $8
Total cost to replicate a pair of $595 shoes = $59.36!