I heard about a great way to get the most out your bronzer – sculpt a number three on each side of your face. Ok, here’s what I mean: swirl some bronzer on a medium sized face brush, like the Highlighting Brush from SONiA KASHUK ($12.99 @ Target stores). The bristles are spread further apart towards the tip so you’ll get a light application and can build it up. Depending on how much control you like to have the SHU UEMURA 7.5EXG ($35 @ shuuemura.com) goat-haired brush is also a good one. The fan-ness of this one really grazes features for a soft look and the handle maneuvers nicely. Next, start just above your temple/brow in front of the hair line and make a number three on the right side and a backwards three on your left side. Using this method seems to hit just the right places, including the cheeks, for a fresh look. One bronzer great for this technique is YOUNGBLOOD’s Mineral Radiance ($39 @ ybskin.com). Choose from three different color compacts. I like Splendor and Sundance with the four colors that allow you to really sculpt the area for a naturally healthy finish.
Browsing Sonia Kashuk
I usually use the tip of an eyeliner duo to smudge my shadow but now I have a brush specially made just for smudging. SONiA KASHUK Pointed Sponge-Tipped Smudger ($7.99 @ target.com) has a nice sized tip and the handle is loooong enough and helps you get a good smudge in. I only wish this had some way to change out the sponge tips so it would last years to come.
Speaking of years to come, while I'm hot on the brush, the excesive packaging I could do without. It's a hard plastic container and while it looks good, we have all got to do our part in cutting down on waste as it couldn't be reused for anything.
The SONiA KASHUK Spring 2008 Collection is here and blossoming with colors all around the rainbow. Here are our picks from the litter:
- Velvety Matte Lip Crayon in Nudey Nude ($6.99)
- Hydrating Lip Balm with SPF 14 in Cherrylicious ($7.49)
- Sheer Lip Color and Plumping Glossy Tint in Passion Fruit ($11.99)
- Eye Shadow Quad in Vivid Violets and Blue Lagoon ($9.99 each)
- Crème Blush in Rosey ($8.99)
- Sheer Lip Glossing with No-Feather Pencil (7.99)
- Velvety Matte Lip Crayon in Pinky Nude ($6.99)
All @ Target stores nationwide
SONiA KASHUK just came out with seven new makeup brushes for the spring. I have really grown to become a big fan of her tools in general and these are no exception. Besides being great quality brushes that don’t break the bank, they are made from synthetic materials instead of real animal hair.
My favorites out of the new ones are the:
- Multi Purpose Nylon Brush $5.99
- Synthetic Crease Shadow Brush $9.99
- Highlighting Brush $12.99
Get any of these @ target.com
These brushes got us to thinking, there are probably a lot of new brushes coming out for the season. We will be highlighting some of the best ones in the coming weeks so make sure to check them out.
We also got a hold of her new Spring 2008 Color Collection. The feature with our picks coming soon.
GOLD! Every line seems to have it on their minds with their collections this season. And SONiA KASHUK is playing it up in her accessories line. The Treasure Chest Train Case ($19.99) is perfect for travel or just sitting on your vanity. My other pick is the Prized Possesion Kashuk Tool Set ($29.99). Each Blush Brush, Blending Brush and Angles Eye Shadow Brush have a gold handle and come in a crush-proof magnetic case. Both @ target.com
I consider greens, as in mossy greens, a very neutral color. They are so earthy, warm and natural that they could take the place of nudes in most cases. Olive, tarragon, and the creatively named products below, all make up our 2nd Fall Color Pick, Mossy Green.
The way I’m thinking about this piece is if I were to paint a picture of moss using different shades and textures, which ones would I use? Here are our picks to make up our portrait:
- PORTICO SPA Clarifying Shampoo $14/6.7oz @ porticospa.com
- L’OREAL H.I.P. Pure Pigment Shadow Stick in Mesmerizing $9.99 @ walgreens.com
- PUR MINERALS Pur Colour Shadow in True Emerald $12 @ purminerals.com
- URBAN DECAY Smokeout Blending Eye Pencil in Green Goddess $14 @ beauty.com
- ORLY Nail Lacquer in Green With Envy $3.19 @ head2toebeauty.com
- CREATIVE SPA Sea Rocks Soak $12/5oz @ prettylikeme.com
- THE BODY SHOP Shimmer Smudger in Slate Green $13.50 @ thebodyshop.com
- ASTARA Green Papaya Nutrient Mask $39/2.2oz @ beauty.com
- BECCA Line + Illuminate Pencil in Fiji $22 @ bergdorfgoodman.com
- LORAC Front of the Line Waterproof Eyeliner in Green $20 @ sephora.com
- URBAN APOTHECARY Mineral Shadow in Citrine $10 @ urbanapothecary.com
- SiSLEY Phyto-Ombre Eclat Long Lasting Eye Shadow in Anis $40 @ sisley-cosmetics.com
- DIORkiss in Granny Smith 308 $19 @ sephora.com
- SONIA KASHUK Eye Definer and Eye Smudger in Olive Suede $5.99 @ Target stores
- PRESCRIPTIVES Colorscope Creamy Eye Color in Jungle $18 @ prescriptives.com
- GiELLA Nail Polish in Cat’s Eye $25 @ giella.com
- MISTRAL Bath Salts in South Seas $5.50/2.1oz @ mistralsoap.com
- H2O+ SPA Exfoliating Sea Marine Body Wash $18/8oz @ h2oplus.com
- TARTE Eyeshadow in Peyton Place $17 @ tartecosmetics.com
SONIA KASHUK is diving into the mineral makeup category with their first release next month, Sheer Magic Mineral Face Palette, and will include a concealer, powder blush and powder foundation. Each is container is stackable and portable.
BY TERRY is introducing a 15-unit VIP Expert skin care line later this month exclusively at Sephora locations.
DERMALOGICA is launching a full 8-unit men's line called Shave Collection. The new additions will accompany their already existing Close Shave Oil and Clean Bar products. They will be available in their spas and salons in Feb 2008.
The BOBBI BROWN line is putting out a foundation just for you normal to oily skin types with their new Moisturizing Cream Compact Foundation. It will be available in 19 shades later this month for $40.
The MODE COSMETICS line is expanding into the skin care category. The products will be available at healthfood stores, supermarkets and boutiques nationwide early next year.
If you are finding yourself a little bit bored with black, you are hardly alone. Black is still hip but don’t you want to sport the new "it" shade this season? It's vibrant, powerful and both fun and fabulous to wear. Purple was sizzling on the runways and seems to be dominating cosmetics especially for the eyes so wear wines, eggplants, violets, lilacs; any shade of purple on your lids and don't forget how wonderful it is to wear on your cheeks and lips. Here are our picks. ~Randi
- KISS ME MASCARA in Dark Purple ($25 @ kissmemascara.com)
- CAROL’S DAUGHTER Natural Sexy Shine Lip Gloss new Purple Reign ($13.50 @ sephora.com
- SEPHORA Maniac Mat Long-Wearing Matte Lipstick in Mat 04 ($12 @ sephora.com)
- PRESCRIPTIVES Single Colorscope Eye Color in Heather ($14 @ prescriptives.com)
- LAURA MERCIER Eye Colour Matte in Black Plum ($20 @ nordstrom.com)
- NARS Cream Eyeshadow in Swing ($21 @ narscosmetics.com)
- JAPONESQUE Touch-Up Tube, Purple ($19 @ aveyou.com)
- BOURJOIS Kohl & Contour Eyeliner Pencil in Violet Artiste ($11.50 @ sephora.com)
- SONIA KASHUK Eye Definer in Purple Passion ($5.99 @ Target stores)
- DUWOP Violet Eyes ($32 @ sephora.com)
One of the best multi tasking products these days is the tinted moisturizer. SONIA KASHUK jumps in the ring with both guns blaring. Light reflectors help disguise fine lines and wrinkles while UVA and UVB protectors guard against the sun, so it makes sense to try Radiant Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15 ($11.99/2oz @ target.com). I chose Sheer Tint 2, which is perfect for medium skin tones and I really like how it seems to even out the skin even though it gives a very sheer coverage. ~Lisa
DuWOP Smoothset Powder Primer ($32 @ sephora.com) is a balm and powder in a compact. The balm minimizes pores so the powder sits smoothly on the skin. What’s unique about the balm is that it absorbs oils and fills in the cracks or wrinkles and it does a very nice job at both jobs. I just wish more of the balm came in this one. Available in three shades: Translucent Sahara, Translucent Mojave, and Translucent Kalahari.
Any dry lip, that is. There is no excuse for having lips that are dry and chapped with all the great choices out there for soothing lip balms out there. Here are a few of my favorites:
BLUE Q Wedding Cake White Silk SPF18 Lip Balm - not just for Brides! Yummy Italian Cream Cake flavor is like dessert for your lips. $5.99 @ blueq.com.
New at ORIGINS is Dr. Andrew Weil's Conditioning Lip Balm with Turmeric. For extreme lip comfort and healing the spice Turmeric is used to provide extra antioxidant protection $15 @ origins.com
Fresh from Virginia we get DiONIS Cucumber Mint Lip Balm made with goats milk, jojoba oil, Shea butter. 96% natural and tastes like a summer cucumber salad! $3 @ dionissoap.com
SONIA KASHUK Lip Balm SPF 15 ($6 @ Target stores nationwide) comes in a little pot and while I prefer sticks, I actually don't mind dipping my finger into this one as I rub the excess on the back of my hands to get the added protection from the SPF this one has. ~Lisa