Browsing Posts from November 2007
Friday, November 30, 2007
Compliment each other beautifully with CALVIN KLEIN. Five minis of their top scents let you and your man try each without the wallet commitment. Variety Men’s Gift Set ($39.99) is .5oz bottles of ck One, Eternity for Men, Obsession Night for Men, Truth Calvin Klein Men and Escape fro Men. Variety Women’s Gift Set ($39.39) is ck One (.5oz), Obsession Night, Euphoria, Eternity and Eternity Moment, all .13oz. Both sets @ fragrancenet.com
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Short? Long? Frizz creeps up on all of us. The Matrix hair company did some research and found that 87% of consumers use heat tools to style their strands. 87%! So make sure you use protection.
The experts at JOHN FRIEDA are only improving their cult Frizz-Ease by introducing a new addition, Frizz-Ease Thermal Protection Formula ($9.99/1.69oz @ diapers.com). If you regularly use a blow dryer or straightening iron, this one should be in your bathroom, as it does double-duty – controls frizz by putting a barrier between your hair and those hot styling products.
Be one step ahead with new MATRIX Vavoom Gold Heat Blow-In Control Protective Serum ($11.90/4.2oz @ matrix.com). Sprays that protect your hair before styling are like makeup primers, they are really becoming a staple in my daily regime that I never knew I really needed. Made for medium to course hair types, this one not only protects against heat but really made my hair soft and shiny.
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
100. There are only 100 of the LIPSTICK QUEEN’s Poppy’s Purse ($75 @ beauty.com) available. 100 sets to be spread out between all of the Barneys stores. Poppy collaborated with Katherine King to produce this cute red and black 4 1/4" x 3 1/2" cloth tote. Inside are two signature lipsticks, Saint Red and Red Sinner. Yowza! Give something no one else will give her.
Tuesday, November 27, 2007
MALLY BEAUTY New Naturals Midnight Lip Gloss ($15 @ qvc.com) is a new kind of gloss to me. It gives you the rich pigment of a lipstick with the shine of a gloss. And the three colors, Clementine, Raisin and Sweet Plum, are all very wearable and will probably suit most skin tones.
Monday, November 26, 2007
SPORNETTE makes some of my favorite brushes. Their new collection of Coco Tourmaline Nylon and Boar Bristle brushes do double duty. The nylon tourmaline tips on the boar bristles make for excellent styling while it conditions your hair at the same time. The ceramic barrel speeds up the drying time! They named the collection Coco after the pretty chocolate brown barrel. It comes in 3 sizes: 2” diameter #1500/$13.99, 2-1/4” diameter #1505/$14.99 and 3” diameter #1510/ $15.99 @ spornette.com.
Saturday, November 24, 2007
Why miss big time with your man? You can’t when it comes to soap. They all use it and need it. One mine will be getting this year is MISTRAL Men’s Bar Soap in Cedarwood Marine ($14/8.8oz @ amazon.com). It’s a triple milled quality soap made with Shea Butter, and extracts of Green Coffee and White Ginseng. And the fragrance of this one? All man! Cedar wood, eucalyptus, amber and forest.
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
These SKIN AN APOTHECARY products smell and feel so good, they make me dream of lying down in a field of poppies, or at least a bathtub full! They've totally won me over with their Soy Body Wash in the addicting Poppy fragrance ($15/16oz). And, being the scrubbing junkie that I am, the Poppy Sugar Glow ($21/16oz) takes front and center in my shower this week. It’s full of wonderful hydrating oils and when you use both of these, don’t be surprised if you find it difficult to get out of the shower! But the Poppy Body Whip ($25/16oz) should help you jump out.
When you can still smell a fragrance in your bathroom at the end of the day, you know it’s a keeper. I’m addicted, so I guess I’ll have to try their many other fragrances. All @ skinanapothecary.com ~Lisa
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
This is our last installment of Red, Red Lips and we have some serious ones on this list. Just do me one favor when it comes to red lipsticks, don’t let the look in the tube deceive you from trying what could be, your perfect shade!
- NARS Lipstick in Jungle Red ($23 @ net-a-porter.com) – this is one bright red! It’s matte and very pigmented.
- MAC new Mattene Lipstick in You Say Tomato ($14.50 @ nordstrom.com) – semi-matte bright orange-red. For the experienced only!
- SHISEIDO The Makeup Perfecting Lipstick in Red Luxe ($22 @ sephora.com) – you need sunglasses when you put this shade on. Bright and creamy. Proceed with caution.
- DIANNE BRILL COSMETICS Lip Lingerie Lipstick in Cuban Heel ($28 @ beautyhabit.com) – when I think of this line, I think of this rich cocoa red. Deeply pigmented and it’s one of those that is lighter red on lips than it appears.
- URBAN APOTHECARY Big Fat Kiss in Smirk ($20 @ urbanapothecary.com) – part gloss part lipstick. This is a warm glossy red that will make your lips look wet.
- SCOTT BARNES Lip Suede in Crystal ($24 @ scottbarnes.com) – thick and rich pigment. Scott doesn’t mess around with sheers. This is a serious girls’ red lipstick.
- OPI Lip Color in St. Petersburgundy ($10 @ opi.com) – this is a deep burgundy red, like a shade you see on a model in a magazine. Pair with a pearl necklace and your look is ready.
- TRISH McEVOY Flawless Lip Sheer Lip Liner in Rouge ($20 @ nordstrom.com) – for perfect precision with any red, use a pencil to line. This rosy red is not too dry or oily and it stays put.
- LIPSTICK QUEEN Lipstick in Rouge Sinner ($18 @ bloomingdales.com) – "all pigment and no shimmer or frost" is their tag line. This is a serious dark red.
- SHU UEMURA Rouge Unlimited Red Collection in #195 ($23 @ shuuemura.com) – they are so confident about their formula for red, they came out with a whole collection of them. This one is silky and on the sheerer side.
- SUKI COLOR Pure Cream Stain in Vermillion ($36.50 @ sukipure.com) – this glass pot is filled with pure deep burgundy wine pigment. Swipe this creamy mineral color on lips, cheeks, everywhere. Very sheer.
We know that not every red will fit every person so Linda, one of our faithful readers, has a suggestion for those with lips on the thin side or if you are over 40. “I found two from GARDEN BOTANIKA that are sheer and glossy and give my lips a deep red hue. The colors are Vitamin E Lip Tint’s Rhubarb and Black Raspberry Volumizing Lipstick. Despite the names they look red on my lips.” Thanks Linda!
Monday, November 19, 2007
I got so much more than I ever dreamed I would the first time I tried this is a super star at home mask. MALIN + GOETZ new Detox Face Mask ($38/4oz @ malinandgoetz.com and bloomingdales.com) not only produced timely results but the smell of the natural almond extract calmed me immediately. The thick formula feels good going on the skin and afterwards it felt firmer, smoother, lifted and plumper! Amino acid hydration technology (their description) translates to adding stable vitamin c, vitamin e and soy protein to address concerns for aging. Oxygenation cleansing agents deep pore cleanse and lift out all the impurities. There is zero irritation and it is safe for all skin types. You really need to get this one! ~Lisa
Sunday, November 18, 2007
STiLA wants to go along to your next big holiday party. So tuck one of these beautifully packaged palettes in your next evening bag:
Blanc and Noire Palettes ($32) are just what the doctor ordered for winter. Three eye shadows and one cheek color in a slim plush velvet designed magnetic case.
The Deluxe Palettes ($34) are five colors encased in a hard metal case adorned with Swarovski crystals. Both 5” x 1 ½” case is sure to please. Choose from Guinevere or Scarlett. All four palettes @ stilacosmetics.com